Walk-Up Music Test

Here's the easiest test you will take this year: Match the Yankee to his walk-up song from choices a, b or c.  
  1. Chase Headley
  2. Chris Young
  3. Brett Gardner
     a. Muckalee Creek Water - Luke Bryan
     b. Poison - Bel Biv Devoe
     c. Here I Go Again - Whitesnake

I have to admit that I am not familiar with any formal process or parameters by which walk-up music is selected, so I assume players pick it themselves based on what they like best. I remember Curtis Granderson asking fans on YouTube and then later on Facebook, to help him select a song when he was still on the Yankees (I suggested "Chief Rocka" by Lords of the Underground, now I would offer "What is and What Should Never Be" by Led Zeppelin, but I digress). You can watch the video below.


But really, shouldn't it be something that inspires the fans and the team, while intimidating the opposing team's pitcher?  I mean wouldn't AC/DC's "Giving the Dog a Bone" accomplish that in spades?  What about "You Lose" by The Replacements?  Or how about using some reverse psychology, like when teams paint the visiting team's locker room pink? Under that strategy, "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone is a clear winner.

I guess it ultimately depends on one's upbringing, culture and taste, but for me, none of the Yankee at bat tunes I listed both inspire AND intimidate. I can barely stand listening to "Here I Go Again" for the eight millionth time in my life. However I am a big fan of "Poison." I've seen that song stop a crowd...sans the intimidation factor. And as for "Muckalee Creek Water" well, let's just say...I can't even.

So, here are the (obvious) answers to the test above:
  1. Chase Headley = Here I Go Again - Whitesnake (Answer choice c)
  2. Chris Young = Poison - Bel Biv Devoe (answer choice b)
  3. Brett Gardner = Muckalee Creek Water - Luke Bryan (answer choice a)
And here is some Haiku in honor of Gardy's choice:
What's that noise I hear?
Inspiring All-Star Hopeful
It makes my ears bleed

Article by: Bullpen Betty
Follow me on twitter @BullpenBetty
Follow our blog on twitter @BronxBomberBlog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Bronx Bomber Bets: BBBets 9/23

Five keys to a successful 2016